Thursday, April 17, 2008

Completed "Power Lines"

Satisfaction is completing a painting that takes you to a new place.

Every move becomes italized, accentuated, saturated with intention and experience. A rush can seem like slow motion.

Silver lines- thick profile curves cover burnt orange and filagree silver chiaroscuro lines which define my white thought-bubble forms like a photographic overlay. More layers of white intensify the white and sky blue returns for a few accents.

I had prepared some black but none was necessary. The pre-existing 4 black vertical lines were enough.

The complex experience of completion- enjoying it and questioning it at the same time- is bittersweet. I could fiddle but it might not help, so I resist that temptation.

I paint sitting on the floor, Japanese Style, with my painting leaning against the wall so that it is part of my closest environment. It captures the drips. I keep some of the drips and edit other ones. My final move is to hang my wet painting on the wall and it separates from me.

While I painted today I listened to Ekhart Tolle's web-cast with Oprah Winfrey. Eckhart's philosophy hels me to focus and to feel calm and centered.

Now I understand the concept of being 2 related beings- the person making my work and the person witnessing me making my work. This concept is a creative approach I learned by studying acting- of having 2 symbiotic side-by-side beings- the person that is me and the person that is my character.

My paintings are my characters that I inhabit and make real. I am always there beside them. The synthesis of these two related entities is the result.

Immersing myself in this process has opened me up to new information, new experience.

Previously, I had gone through several months of frustration and negativity- my longest period of not painting in over 20 years. I was stuck and I thought I had nothing more to paint. I had become too mental. And I had focused on the external challenges that do not really matter.

Finally I broke through my own resistance. I reconnected to my Power Lines.

Long LIVE Power Lines.

2 comments:

Louise said...

'Letting go' and stepping back is a time for renewal. I am reminded that being attached to outcome rather than going with the present puts limits on my possibilities.
Your paintings are so refreshing and inspiring. I love the color! When the time is right, you will return to it in some new way.

For me too, this blogging experience is also new and holds potential for ideas as well as new connections. Taking the first step to blog seems like a brave act for me---but I did it!
Thank you.!

A COLLAGE A DAY said...

I love seeing your new work!

r.