Saturday, April 12, 2008

Making 2 paintings as a dialogue. One is 30 x 40, the other one is 60 x 48. Oil on linen.

Returning to color after a period of painting in white, silver, and tan tones.

Color seems to welcome into it form, floating globules in these paintings, with underlayers of brighter color. The pleasure of putting down color and allowing it to be expressed, removing myself as much as I can from the process, comes with the experience of doubt and anxiety of precedent.

Painting as a medium seems heavy but juicy. In the paintings I am making now, I am seeking to lighten it up.

Over my whites, I introduced a line-work of magentas that brighten the whites, making them seem more physical to me. Some of the light, white globules had tones of other colors in them- light greens and yellows. I layered over a tiny amount of pink to pop them.

It started to feel sensual and I thought of late DeKooning and Rubens. Wanting to hump it. But there's a counter-balancing tension of ultramarine and black.

The polarity and the tension of experience keep coming back to me as a way to making something that I like. Skin and Asphalt. splattered and rearranged. Reconfigured, Re-Animated. Fragmented, Fractured, Disected and Devastated- and putting it back together again and again.

The defiance to express feeling good and doing one's best to avoid the Void.

Rarified, welcoming pleasure. Fucking and feeling good.

No comments: