Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Power Lines

Continuing with my 5 x 4 foot painting. Thinking of titling it "Power Lines."

Driving past a huge metal structure that holds power lines, I saw a small sign someone had put on it reading- "Higher Power" with an arrow pointing upward. That's the best thing I've ever read about Higher Power.

I relate this painting to that recent memory. My experience of what others seem to think of as Higher Power is through the act of creation. Interconnected and invisible infromation made manifest as a physical fragment of a larger unseen whole.

Reinforced the whites and added in ribbons of light blue to bring in the sky. Kept editing it down- something I do when I write here as well- eliminating the excess information.

It's not complete yet. Usually I finish in a gesture that seems to tie all the loose ends together and continues to edit out unnecessary gesture and form. Hopefully that will happen soon.

There's a resonance with certain paintings I have made, like "Telescope" from 1996 and "Hemisphere" also from the mid 90's. I'm returning to the full spectrum with white gesture but am using much less black than in those earlier painting. Instead of black is the more mutable Silver, which I'm probably going to be adding more of tomorrow.

The scallop shapes at the bottom and top of "Power Lines" are a perceptual and spatial device I have been using to set up and set off the field of the gesture and color.

The visual Buzz is happening.

No comments: